Illinois District Council Assemblies of God
IDCAG Family Sites
--- Business Administrator
--- National Girl's Ministries
--- Royal Rangers
IL School of Ministry
--- Credential Candidates
--- Ministers Wives
New Life Media
Retreat and Conference
<< Back to Spotlight News
Subscribe to IDCAG News
Print Friendly Page
News Photo Gallery
Email to a Friend
Does your church or ministry have news to share with the idcag online community?
Email it to
People in the News: WCIC wins Teen Challenge Peoria Service Award
The staff of WCIC Radio in Peoria, part of the Illinois District Council New Life Media Network, has received the 2010 Peoria Service Award from Teen Challenge Peoria. Peoria director Randy Atchley presented the award to the WCIC team at the annual Fall Banquet, held Thursday evening, September 30, at the Civic Center Ballroom in Peoria. (Photo by Donald Pyles.)
"Teen Challenge Peoria Men’s Division has a long-standing relationship with this year’s recipient," says Rev. Atchley. "Station Manager Dave Brooks and the WCIC Team have been there for Teen Challenge since the doors opened in October 2000. Every time that air time was needed to promote an event or fundraiser, Dave, Jeremy Tracey (who also was emcee for the banquet), and the team have provided the resources needed to successfully meet the task. The Peoria center has the support and loyalty of the community as a direct result of their humanitarian efforts. Their care and concern for the community and to Teen Challenge is why they are being recognized as the 2010 Teen Challenge Service Award."
This marks only the second year for the award.
"In 2009, we determined that because of the great support received towards the Teen Challenge Peoria Men’s Division center, it would be appropriate to recognize one individual or organization that went above and beyond to further our work and ministry," says Rev. Atchley.
According to Dave Brooks, his staff revved up their contribution to the community after reading that LifeWay research determined that nearly 3/4 of Americans who haven't attended church in the previous six months stated they felt churches were full of hypocrites and that Christianity appeared to be more about organized religion than loving God and loving people.
The staff took that news as a call to action.
"Although radio relies heavily on the spoken word, actions speak louder than words," says Brooks.
They set out to change the way the world thinks about Jesus and what it means to follow Him. This led them to become active in the community of Peoria through such efforts as:
* Project Winterize
- 120 volunteers installed window film and weather stripping free for 50 homes on Peoria's south side
- began a locally based ongoing forum that links those in need with people who can meet needs
* Back-to-school registration
- Recruited 150 volunteers to help District 150 students
- the station adopted Charter Oak Primary School in April 2010. The staff has since visited classrooms and we've recruited 51 adult mentors to work one-on-one with students for the entire school year.
* Books for Kids
- Book drive which resulted in collecting enough books to put a new book into the hands of each of the 1,150 first graders in District 150 for the summer.
* Single Moms Morning Out
* Community Concerts
* Food-Share-Can-a-thon Media Sponsor
* Lincoln Correctional Center
- complimentary Christmas outreach concert with Sara Groves
* International Relief Funds
- raised for Haiti earthquake, Manila typhoon, Samoan Islands tsunami, and Indonesia earthquake
* Teen Challenge Peoria
- ongoing ministry partnership
* ePrayer Team
- 250 prayer volunteers faithfully lift listener needs in prayer.
"Community engagement is our passion," says Brooks. "And it's not going to change tomorrow. We're here...for good."
This marks the second year for the award. Last year's inaugeral award went to Joani Ellis of Ellis Studios. Ellis provides the Peoria center with all the graphics that is used in promoting and raising awareness.
Says Rev. Atchley, "In four years' time, she has produced well over $200,000 of graphics completely pro-bono. Her heart for the ministry is what drives her to go above and beyond."
Email to a Friend
Shop / Donate
Connect With God
Web site developed by
Web Marketing Services LLC